Super Smash Bros Tournament proves to be enjoyable

http://www.durhamlibrary.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/aarons-super-smash-bros-brawl-14502575-1600-1200.jpg

Students from all grades enjoyed playing Super Smash Bros Brawl with their friends.

Alexis Dohm, Opinions Editor

NHS held the New Berlin West Super Smash Bros. Brawl tournament on Wednesday, Dec. 2nd in the middle school gym. The unconventional school activity gained a standing of 10 single players and 11 pairs to face each other in the game.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl is a fighting game that allows you to play as and fight certain iconic nintendo characters such as Link from Legend of Zelda, Mario from Super Mario Bros., and Pikachu from Pokemon.

Some students who attended donated their Wii gaming consoles, games, and controllers for the night and four screens were set up to be played on. Some played with a partner, others went solo. There was an accumulation of about 32 competitors. The competitors were very serious about the game. Many of the students there were heavily invested in the game and less interested in talking to friends.

The competition was run by selected students in NHS and the money gained from sign-ups was used to fund scholarships.

The winner of the singles was Sam Rogers and the winners of doubles were senior Zach Sienkiweicz and junior Jacob Bishop. Each winner took home a cash prize of 15$ and got a picture with the championship belt.

Overall, the night was fun for participants. NHS and Super Smash Bros. fans alike. Hopefully, NHS continues doing activities like this in West’s future.

Sheida Pourdashti, a student in NHS who was present at the event, stated, “Even though profits aren’t expected to be huge, the competition is just a fun thing for people to do and if we make some money off of it, it’s a win-win.”