Reviewing the fall sports season

Rocco Conrad, Henry Gardner, Chan Russ, Staff Writers

Note: Records accurate as of 10/19

Football

The Vikings run a successful offensive play. The team qualified for the playoffs for the sixth consecutive year.

The Football team coached by Ben Chossek was excited to be back on the field with a more traditional season. Their record in the Parkland conference was 3-4, 3-6 overall. The first half of the schedule was very challenging, playing Pewaukee, Catholic Memorial, and Eisenhower, all playoff-level opponents. During the mid-season, Chossek said, “The boys have improved each week and are working hard…We are looking forward to the second half of the season.” Standout players on offense were junior Troy Blawat, who led the team in passing yards with 132 yards, and sophomore Jack Wesolowski, led the team in rushing yards with 622 yards. Senior wide receiver Adam Kelnhofer led the team in receiving yards with 77 yards. Senior Jake Peterson and sophomore Jack Wesolowski led the defensive line while senior Matthew Ewens led the linebacker core. In the defensive backfield, senior Logan Burgmeier had a solid year. Chossek said how he is “excited to have fans back and is looking forward to a great rest of the season.” Sadly, the boys lost the first round in the playoffs to Whitefish Bay. 

Boys Soccer

Matthew Sundararajan looks to move the ball upfield. The team had a successful season, reaching the top ten in the state at one point.

Boys Soccer, coached by Matt Drago, had a great regular season. Boys Soccer was 10-1-2 in conference play, 14-4-2 overall. Seniors Ty Wojtiuk and Hunter Servais have been lockdown defenders. The offense was led by seniors Matt Sundararajan, 24 goals and 17 assists, Ethan Wentz, 10 goals, Sam Nolte, 13 goals and 7 assists, and Garrett Tadlock, 10 goals and 3 assists. Unfortunately, the team was hit by the injury bug, but they recovered well and finished the season strong. The boys were the second seed, eighth in the state. They beat Milwaukee School of Languages in the first round but lost 2-1 to Kettle Moraine Lutheran in the second round of the playoffs. 

Boys Volleyball

Senior Jack Heuer is honored on Senior Night. United was eliminated from the playoffs by Franklin.

Coach Nick Maske is the varsity coach for Boys Volleyball. Coach Maske has been coaching the boys volleyball team for six years. Over six years, they have held a record of 34 wins and only three losses. He hopes that the team will win their 10th conference championship in program history, and if that happens it will be the 8th conference championship in nine years. Sadly, Covid cut their season short last year but Coach Maske said “boys Volleyball has picked up conference play right where they left off last season.” The Volleyball team is currently undefeated in the conference and hasn’t lost a conference game since 2019. This is quite good for them as winning games can get them into the playoffs, and get a chance to go into the finals. Senior captain Jackson Heuer is currently leading the team and the conference in digs (the first contact made after an attacker from the other team sends the ball over to the defensive team). He also has more than double the digs than all the people in the whole conference. Coach Maske stated, “Jackson is highly motivated to get this team on the right track to return to the state, as he is the only returning starter from last year’s team.” Other great plays have come from senior Aaron Bertsch and junior Seth Aiello, who leads the conference in number of kills. Another great defensive player is senior Ryan Zablocki, who is one of the best serve-reception players in the Woodland Conference. Also, senior Ryan Kugel has stepped up as one of the team’s best middle hitters, as well as freshman Raj Dihora with his impeccable setting skills. Since the team has mixed players from New Berlin West and New Berlin Eisenhower, half of the games are played at West and half of the games are played at Eisenhower. 

Girls Volleyball

Sophomore Jordan Bauer serves in a match at Eisenhower. The Vikings are still in alive in the playoffs and take on Pius tonight.

Girls Volleyball, coached by Caroline Langer, has had a roller coaster of a season so far. Their record in conference play is 4-2, 14-9 overall. The team has had some very important wins and good team wins. Tournament wins have included the silver bracket of the KML and the copper bracket of the Adidas Charger invite, which is the top tournament in the state. The team lost in the silver bracket finals of the Crusader Cup and the New Berlin West invite. To explain the brackets, Langer said “all tournaments have multiple playoff brackets based on the number of teams. So your gold bracket is the top bracket and the team that wins the tournament. The bracket order is Gold, Silver, Bronze, Copper, Flight. There are only a few tournaments that have passed a Bronze bracket- most just aren’t large enough.” Top performers include junior Meghan Schultz, sophomore, junior Jamie Habermehl, and senior Brooke Bauer. Girls Volleyball beat St. Thomas More in the first round and will face Pius on October 28 in the sectional semifinal.

Girls Tennis

Freshman Sania Dhillon prepares to return a serve. The team had a solid showing at sectionals, finishing middle of the pack as a team.

Girls Tennis, coached by Becky Perreault, is off to a solid start. Girls Tennis has two seniors this year. The top players in singles include junior Eleanor Certalic with notable wins over Waterford and Martin Luther. Another top singles player is senior Maddie Spychalla who pulled off wins against both of her opponents, Whitnall and Waterford. She also took first place at the home tournament.

Girls Golf

Senior Shauna Grahn attempts a putt. The team won the conference title for the fifth straight year.

United Girls Golf, coached by Paul Sadowski, won the regular season Woodland Conference championship for the 5th straight year. Eisenower seniors Sammy Galian and Molly Kane made the first-team all-conference. Senior Katie Grotkin, sophomore Angelina Dorshak, and West senior Shauna Grahn made the second-team all-conference. Even though United Golf lost three-time player of the year Amanda Karvala and seniors Lilly Strade and Kaitlyn Shepherd, United Girls Golf still managed to win the conference, which Coach Sadowski said was “special.” On September 29th, United Girls Golf played their regional meet held at Muskego Lakes. Sammy Galian finished 2nd and shot an 82. On September 30, United Girls Golf won the Woodland Conference Tournament at Fairways of Woodside. Sammy Galian was the tournament medalist shooting an 80. Shauna and Katie Grotkin placed 4th and 5th. The girls also qualified for sectionals on October 4th, at Broadlands. Coach Sadowski said, “It (the sectional meet) is probably the toughest sectional in the state with six teams ranked in the top fifteen.” We wish the girls the best of luck and hope they can move on to the State Meet, which is on October 12th and October 13th. 

Swim and Dive

Junior Olivia Lucas races at a meet. The team was young this year, but many swimmers set personal bests this season.

Girls Swim and Dive, coached by James Jensen, has had many positives so far in their season. The girls have worked very hard at practice and they put forth their best effort. Their determination is also showing within the time drops we are seeing in their swim meets. Some of the high performers are their seniors Sydney Petinga and Ocean Goetzke, as well as sophomore, Lena Rawson. The team is very young with 7 underclassmen. If the underclassmen keep up the hard work they could show immense improvement over the course of the next few years.

Cross Country

Caitlyn Meyers (left), Claire Rawson (center), and Lauren Petinga (right) race in a meet. The team is young but still enjoyed plenty of success.

Cross Country, coached by James Braun, has brought home a medal in every meet this year. With five meets in the bag, Braun says “It looks like it’s going to be a great season.” This year, there is a lot of youth with ten freshman boys on the team. In Cross Country, a meet is 3.1 miles of hills, turns, and running. In the most recent race, six people had a personal best time. Braun’s favorite thing about this year’s group is that they are all very supportive and enjoy running together. As a result, everybody has been improving together. Braun advises anyone to do Cross Country. “When people join Cross Country, they say ‘I don’t know if I can do this’ and by the end of the season they realize they can.” Braun also stated that “Cross Country helps to become better in other sports.” The team has three meets left in their season and they hope to keep improving and grow stronger bonds.  

Cheerleading

Kaylee Rendon, the cheerleading coach, said the season is going amazing, even though they have dealt with some Covid related issues. However, the girls have adapted well to the change. For cheerleading, all the players have to work together and perform at a high level. Tournament season begins soon.

Pom and Dance

Pom and Dance, coached by Tina Coe, has had an amazing season. All summer they trained in preparation for a more normal season. They went to UDA Camp and earned a bid to Nationals as well as all blue ribbons for individual and team events. Some of the highest performers are seniors Kennedy Poepping, Katie Gerovac, Emma Shingledecker, Jenna Kutschenreuter, and Priscilla Louey. They look forward to the competitive season that will begin in November.

Overall, fall sports at New Berlin West are going well. There is great talent at all grade levels and great coaches in all fall sports. We wish all teams the best of luck for the rest of the season and we hope their seasons continue to be awesome.